[IPP] PPX prototyping progress, topics for discussion...

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Tue Jun 28 18:27:05 UTC 2022

All,

I have been working on my prototyping of the current PPX draft in the ippsample project (almost done) and wanted to share some initial results:

- "imposition-template" is largely a replacement for/superset of "number-up".  The current ipptransform code only supports one at a time, with precedence given to "imposition-template".

- "imposition-template" (for 'booklet') and "page-ranges" do not interact well, mainly because "page-ranges" applies to input pages and booklet printing rearranged the order and location of the input pages to produce a booklet that can be folded and stapled along the middle of the stack of media sheets.

- "cover-back" and "cover-front" are essentially composite attributes for "overrides (1setOf collection)" (PWG 5100.6) and "force-front-side (1setOf integer(1:MAX))" (PPX).

Based on these results:

- Do we need a way to select output pages (media sheets) as opposed to input pages as supported by STD92's "page-ranges" Job Template attribute?  I am not convinced that we *do* need it since the Client can easily prepare document data that doesn't need imposition, but if we do need it we could add a "media-sheet-ranges (1setOf rangeOfInteger(1:MAX))" Job Template attribute...

- I would like to DEPRECATE "cover-back" and "cover-front" since they duplicate functionality supported by "overrides" and "force-front-side". I am not aware of any implementations of the cover attributes while "overrides' (at least) is widely supported by PDF printers...

Thoughts?

Michael Sweet