[IPP] What value do IPP Printers provide for "printer-name"?

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Fri Jun 21 02:07:43 UTC 2024

Greetings all,

Sorry I was unable to be present for the discussion! (I'm on "vacation" helping my elderly father pack his apartment.)

I think we have a bit of a "chicken and egg" issue here. It may be that many clients have backed away from using "printer-name" because of the variability of the values printers provide. We can either deprecate that attribute / discourage its use, or we can try to push it towards some consistency. These others are much more specifically prescriptive but not always pertinent:

- printer-make-and-model
- printer-dns-sd-name
- printer-device-id

The scenarios a client might use these and "printer-name" include constructing the "default name" it might give a persistent "old-school" print queue (e.g., Linux, macOS, Windows). I personally have a habit of setting the DNS-SD Instance Name to something like "_Smitty ChickenLips_" and then I also set its .local domain name to a downsampled version of that: "smitty-chickenlips" so that I can identify it across client platforms regardless of how the queue gets set up.

The queue might be set up using a discovery protocol (DNS-SD etc.), or via a URI / hostname / raw IPv4 address / raw IPv6 address. One thing I'm concerned about is that, if the queue / printer is set up using one of the latter non-DNS-SD methods, how would the user know that that is the device's name? For instance, if I set up the queue with "192.168.1.37", and the user read that off a config page or the printer's control panel, they have acquired the IPv4 address but may never have seen "_Smitty ChickenLips_" or "smitty-chickenlips" or "smitty-chickenlips.local" before. So how will they connect the name to the device?

(I'd like to find a pathway to allow us to begin discouraging the use of raw IPv4 addresses, because DHCP leases can cause IPv4 address rotation, causing "printer offline" issues / stale queues, but in many semi-managed SMBs their networks' DNS infrastructure and multicast propagation is just not reliable enough so they fall back to IPv4 addresses with fixed leases, I guess.

So what I might suggest for IPP Implementor's Guide v2.1:

- For printers set up using DNS-SD, the default queue name ought to be "<DNS-SD Instance Name / printer-dns-sd-name>"
- For printers set up by the user providing a hostname, the default queue name ought to be "<hostname>"
- For printers set up by the user providing a raw IP address, the default queue name ought to be "<IP address>" (gross for IPv6, I know...but that's what the user provided...)
- Regardless of how the printer / print queue is set up, it seems like a model name should be presented as well. How this gets presented to the user is a UX issue that is out of scope.
- All printers ought to present their DNS-SD Instance Name and their hostname and/or their current IPv4 address on their control panel if they have one.

Thoughts?

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy