[IPP] What value do IPP Printers provide for "printer-name"?

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Tue Jun 11 19:22:54 UTC 2024

On Jun 11, 2024, at 1:08 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at msweet.org> wrote:

CAUTION: External Email

From: Michael Sweet <msweet at msweet.org<mailto:msweet at msweet.org>>
Subject: Re: [IPP] What value do IPP Printers provide for "printer-name"?
Date: June 11, 2024 at 1:08:35 PM MDT
To: PWG IPP Workgroup <ipp at pwg.org<mailto:ipp at pwg.org>>
Cc: "Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards)" <smith.kennedy at hp.com<mailto:smith.kennedy at hp.com>>

Smith,

I did a quick check of the printers in my home lab:

   ippfind --exec ipptool -tv '{}' get-printer-attributes.test \; | grep printer-name

and while the HP printers do indeed put the hostname in there (uppercased) all of the rest seem to put the model name or make and model. CUPS and PAPPL use the local queue name which is usually some variation of make and/or model (but users can change that...)

So the attributes involved in a discussion were:

printer-name (RFC 2911 / 8011 - required)
printer-make-and-model (RFC 2911 / 8011 - recommended)
printer-dns-sd-name (PWG 5100.13 - required)

The wording of "printer-name" makes it sound like it should be a unique name, not a model name...