[IPP] printing job with different finishings

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Thu May 9 15:38:10 UTC 2024

Tobias,

> On May 9, 2024, at 10:38 AM, Tobias Wendorff via ipp <ipp at pwg.org> wrote:
>>> Even after numerous misprints, I couldn't manage to create such a complex job. As a result, the cover letter and questionnaire are printed separately and then assigned manually. This is error-prone work when 300 questionnaires have to be sent out.
>> One thing you can do is submit separate jobs from the same ipptool file - at least then the output will end up on the output tray in the right order.
>
> True, I've already thought about that. I would then have to send two "Print-Job" in one file. Can I assume that consecutive IDs will always be printed consecutively if they have the same priority? What probably won't work is the offset in the output, i.e. cover letter 1 + questionnaire 1 "left", cover letter 2 + questionnaire 2 "right", cover letter 3 + questionnaire 3 "left", etc.?

There are no hard-and-fast rules for this, but if you are the only system sending jobs then it should print jobs in the order they are submitted.

> It's a pity that you can't assign a finishing per document for "Create-Job" and "Send-Document". Finishing obviously always refers to the complete job.

Actually, no.  "finishings" is both a Job and Document Template attribute, so a Printer that supports multiple-document jobs (look for multiple-document-jobs-supported=true in the get-printer-attributes.test output) should support finishings in the Send-Document request (in the document-attributes-tag group).

The old "job-finishings" attribute (obsolete, from the old PWG 5100.7-2003 Job Extensions spec) was defined to explicitly apply to the whole job, regardless of the value of multiple-document-handling, but we made it obsolete because that just has too many interoperability issues and side-effects.

"finishings" as a Job Template attribute applies to a Set - so either all of the Documents together or each Document individually depending on "multiple-document-handling".

"finishings" as a Document Template attribute applies to just that Document. It is basically an override for the whole document (vs. specific Input Pages/Documents in the case of the "overrides" Job Template attribute) but relies on the Printer supporting multiple-document Jobs.

> Incidentally, during my experiments I noticed that "Validate-Job" cannot be used in combination with "Create-Job" and "Send-Document". I now always send a "Cancel-Job" after it so that the printer does not print a page. Unfortunately, the job counter then counts up :-)

Validate-Job should not be creating a Job or interacting with any pending Jobs.  It is there solely for validating a Job Ticket, not for actually doing any work.

Michael Sweet