McDonald, Ira imcdonald at sharplabs.com
Fri Apr 18 14:34:17 EDT 2003

Hi Michael,

Tom's notes are actually incomplete.  A conforming implementation
MUST support at least one scheme (I suggested we RECOMMEND that
'http:'), but an administrator _at_run_time_ may choose to disable
this feature by reconfiguring "reference-uri-schemes-supported".

I proposed making this operation (Send-URI) mandatory.  But only
if ALL implementations MUST support at least one reference scheme
and SHOULD support 'http:' (note that PSI servers MUST support
'http:' for the AddDocumentByReference method).

I contend that the burden of adding a minimal HTTP client to an
existing IPP-based printer is minimal.  That's the question.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald