Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Mar 18 14:58:14 EST 2003

Here is the definition of the "document-format-device-id" proposed in the
Document object spec:

This OPTIONAL Document Description attribute identifies the type of device
for which the document was formatted, including manufacturer and model.
This attribute is intended to identify document formats that are not
portable, e.g., PDLs that are device dependent.  The value of this variable
MUST exactly match the IEEE 1284-2000 Device ID string (see [IEEE1284]
clause 6), except the length field MUST not be specified.  See the Microsoft
Universal Plug and Play [upnp] section 2.2.6 DeviceId parameter for details
and examples.  Here is an example showing only the required fields for a
PostScript document:
    MANUFACTURER:ACME Co.;COMMAND SET:PS;MODEL:LaserBeam 9;

And here is the definition of the UPnP DeviceId attribute from the UPnP v1
Printer Template.  Note: in UPnP this is a Printer attribute, not an
attribute that the submitter includes with his job submission:

2.6.6 DeviceId

The value of this variable MUST exactly match the IEEE 1284-2000 Device ID
string, except the length field MUST not be specified.. The value is
assigned by the Printer vendor and MUST NOT be localized by the Print
Service.
The IEEE 1284-2000 Device ID is a length field followed by a case-sensitive
string of ASCII characters defining peripheral characteristics and/or
capabilities. For the purposes of this specification, the length bytes MUST
NOT be included. The Device ID sequence is composed of a series of keys and
values of the form:

   key: value {,value} repeated for each key

As indicated, each key will have one value, and MAY have more than one
value. The minimum necessary keys (case-sensitive) are  MANUFACTURER,
COMMAND SET, and MODEL. (These keys MAY be abbreviated as MFG, CMD, and MDL
respectively.) Each implementation MUST supply these three keys and possibly
additional ones as well. Each key (and each value) is a string of
characters. Any characters except colon (:), comma (,), and semi-colon (;)
MAY be included as part of the key (or value) string. Any leading or
trailing white space (SPACE[x'20'], TAB[x'09'], VTAB[x'0B'], CR[x'0D'],
NL[x'0A'], or  FF[x'0C']) in the string is ignored by the parsing program
(but is still counted as part of the overall length of the sequence).

An example ID String, showing optional comment and active command set keys
and their associated values (the text is actually all on one line):

MANUFACTURER:ACME Manufacturing;
COMMAND SET:PCL,PJL,PS,XHTML-Print+xml;
MODEL:LaserBeam 9;
COMMENT:Anything you like;
ACTIVE COMMAND SET:PCL;
(See IEEE 1284-2000 clause 7.6)

Note: One of the purposes of the DeviceId variable is to select a printer
driver for those UCPs that need a printer driver.  The values of the COMMAND
SET key are interpreted by the printer driver provided by the vendor and so
are vendor-defined, rather than being standardized.

TH Observations:
1. The Note is part of the definition of the UPnP DeviceId Printer attribute
showing the intent to relate to the driver needed.

2. Because the keyword fields also have shorter forms, the string:
MFG:ACME Manufacturing;CMD:PCL,PJL,PS,XHTML-Print+xml;MDL:LaserBeam 9;
is also conforming for the UPnP DeviceId Printer Attribute.

3. This alternate form for the keyword fields means that the Printer will
either have to include both forms in its
"document-format-device-id-supported" Printer attribute (if we decide to
have one) or have a more sophisticated matching algorithm.

4. The UPnP DeviceId attribute is a Printer Attribute that describes the
Printer's capabilities.  Unlike the IPP "document-format-device-id", the
UPnP DeviceId attribute is not submitted by the clent to tell the printer
what the document format is that the client is submitting.

5. For our use as an attribute that the client submits as a value of
"document-format-device-id", presumably there would only be one value of the
COMMAND SET, e.g.,: MFG:ACME Manufacturing;CMD:PS;MDL:LaserBeam 9;

Right?

Tom