Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Dec 3 22:53:14 EST 2002

Here are some collected comments on the IPP Color and Imaging Attributes for
Thursday, 12/5/02 telecon (details below and previously sent).

Michael Sweet proposed adding two IPP Job Template attributes:
adjust-hue (integer(-180:180)) and image-subsample (type2 keyword).
The "image-subsample" proposed values:
            "none"   = nearest-neighbor sampling
            "linear" = linear interpolation
            "cubic"  = cubic interpolation
He also suggested that we define conformance groups for the attributes in
order to get better interoperability.  See email embedded below.

I've attached a fleshed out specification for "image-subsample", which we
have reviewed at Xerox and called it "resample-method".  Delmar's Dictionary
of Digital Printing & Publishing had "resample", but not subsample.  The
attached proposal includes the following methods:
'nearest-neighbor', 'bi-linear', 'filtered', 'automatic', 'special'.

We need to consider adding 'linear' and 'cubic' (or bicubic) with good
definitions.
Here is Acrobat Distiller 5.0 help on downsampling:

downsample-method: (similar to resample-method but one directional)
                   {average, subsample, bicubic}
                   From acrobat help:
                   'average' takes an average of pixels in sample region and

                   replaces the entire area with the average pixel color at

                   spec resolution
                   'bicubic' uses a weighted average, with better results
                    than simple averaging
                   'subsample' chooses a pixel in the center of the sample
                    area and replaces the entire area with that pixel at the

                    specified resolution. Fastest but results in less
                    smoothness.

Also Acrobat can apply resampling independently to color bit map images,
gray-scaled bit map images, and monochrome bit map images.

Here is Michael's email: