Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Nov 6 19:08:29 EST 2002

Elliot,

Some interesting ideas here.   Building on them, for the Job object that
contains Document objects, for which there might be several sets of Page
Overrides, we need to enhance your function:

value getActualValue(attr_name)

The context for the attribute has to be either passed in and/or returned,
such as for which document in a multi-document job the actual value applies
and for Page Overrides, for which page ranges of Page Overrides the actual
value applies.

So your notion of different methods being applied to a supplied attribute
seems appropriate for the PWG Semantic Model.

For an IPP binding of the PWG Semantic Model, adding the -actual suffix is
just the IPP binding of the PWG Semantic Model.  Internally, the IPP
implementation could use the formulation that you propose.

As an XML approach, consider having an XML attribute indicate whether the
value is the requested, the actual, the default, the ready, or the
supported.  For example, the "sides" attribute:

<sides>
  two-sides-long-edge
</sides>

<sides-actual>
  two-sides-long-edge
</sides-actual>

<sides-default>
  two-sides-long-edge
</sides-default>

<sides-ready>
  one-sided, two-sides-long-edge, two-sides-short-edge
</sides-ready>

<sides-supported>
  one-sided, two-sides-long-edge, two-sides-short-edge
</sides-supported>

would become:

<sides>
  two-sides-long-edge
</sides>

<sides context="actual">
  two-sides-long-edge
</sides-actual>

<sides context="default">
  two-sides-long-edge
</sides-default>

<sides context="ready">
  one-sided, two-sides-long-edge, two-sides-short-edge
</sides-ready>

<sides context="supported">
  one-sided, two-sides-long-edge, two-sides-short-edge
</sides-supported>

Tom