[printing-jobticket] RE: SM> Job "Actual" attributes

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Fri Oct 11 13:05:00 EDT 2002

Very good comments, Shawn. The ISTO Printer Working Group shares your
desire to eliminate redundancy in the industry by harmonizing standards
efforts, where appropriate. This is the main reason we are now formalizing
a "Common Semantic Model". This effort spawned from the recognition that
the Java Print API, UPnP Printing and Bluetooth Printing all leveraged
concepts from IPP but each with somewhat different interpretations. This
gave us a signal that the MODEL represented by IPP is applicable to a wide
variety of print environments. The first true instance of a print solution
based on the PWG Semantic Model will be the Print Services Interface, also
coming from the PWG. We hope that OpenPrinting will leverage the Semantic
Model and feel there is quite good harmony between the two... largely
because of the FSG choice of IPP using CUPS and PAPI.

Initially, the Common Semantic Model is largely derived from IPP. In our
efforts to document a working version of the SM we have not taken the time
to properly address either Job Ticket or Capabilities Object. So far, we
have consciously postponed these topics while we lay in other parts of the
framework. We have NOT excluded these concepts and fully expect to address
them in the future. One of the items the PWG has also been working on is
the Universal Printer Description Format (UPDF) which may make an
excellent capabilities object describing not only device capabilities but
constraints among features as well (can't duplex transparency, for
example).

I don't think the FSG has made a bad choice with IPP. To the contrary,
there has been enough investment in IPP over the past couple years that
you should get a lot of leverage in terms of shortened development cycles
and wide product support. I think the PWG Semantic Model can probably
benefit more than we realize from experience in the OpenPrinting group
with some of our outstanding issues (JT and Capabilities)... albeit
perhaps not until v2. PSI is also a good candidate for FSG to leverage if
you want to address the web services environment. Your initial focus on
IPP (and it's high correlation with the Semantic Model) should give you a
head start in this direction.

As for Scan and Fax, the PWG, like any organization, has had to work
within our limitations. Our scope is probably in need of expansion in
these areas. As you have observed, we do have an IPP-FAX group who are
closing in on a universal image format that will allow fax-like operations
over IPP. This image format can easily be leveraged by other solutions
such as PSI.
Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems

"PRATT,SHAWN (HP-Boise,ex1)" <shawn_pratt at hp.com>
10/11/2002 09:27 AM

        To:     "TAYLOR,BOB (HP-Vancouver,ex1)" <robert_b_taylor at hp.com>,
"'Hastings, Tom N'" <hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com>, Harry
Lewis/Boulder/IBM at IBMUS
        cc:     "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald at sharplabs.com>, "Zehler, Peter"
<PZehler at crt.xerox.com>, sm at pwg.org, printing-jobticket at freestandards.org
        Subject:        RE: [printing-jobticket] RE: SM> Job "Actual"
attributes

So in reading all of this as well as undertanding the work going on in
OpenPrinting, I have a general questions that may be obvious to others but
not to me yet.  The assumed communication link for this work has been IPP.

IPP allows for:
                 a)  Query printer capabilities,
                 b)  Submit print jobs,
                 c)  Inquire about the status of print jobs and printers,
                 d)  Cancel print jobs.
                 e)  Runs on top of HTTP 1.1.

IPP does not currently allow for:
                 a)  Support for scan or fax.  There is an active effort
(PWG-IFX)
          to use IPP for Internet fax, though it's incomplete right now.
                     You could probably fake fax through IPP, but I don't
know if
          anybody has done it.  Scan definitely isn't supported.
                 b)  Does not support Job tickets.  I know a lot of these
discussion
          is about determined what to do for IPP to support job tickets.
          We need to determine this in our work as well as see what is
          being done elsewhere.
                 c)  The format of printer capabilities is all done with
          independently defined attributes - you query individually by
          attribute.  They are vendor extensible, but you need to
          register them through IANA.
                 d)  IPP has the concept of an intent ticket, but it is
not XML
          based, and not easily extensible.
                 e)  The model is also primarily enterprise oriented. What
would
          need to be done to support the consumer space.

Am I correct in these observations?

For the Linux standard print model work that the FSG OpenPrinting WG is
doing, our goals are not to "reinvent the wheel" and not simply patch the
current solutions.  Our objectives are to work with the standards working
groups that are already working on various parts of the print model puzzle
to ensure that said standards work well for the Linux environment.  In
order
to do this correctly, first, we need to define the basic print path and
the
components/standards used along that path.  Second, we need to identify
what
is missing from those components and standards.  Finally, we need to be
working with those owners to make the improvements and/or implementing
Linux
specific APIs/components.  As well, the OpenPrinting WG is also about
looking forward.  Questions we need to answer are:  What is the print
model
solution we would like for the future?  How can we best provide an
architecture and solution that:
                 a)  Is scalable to allow solution providers (print
vendors,
          distributors, and even users) ensure a basic print model,
          but also build on it easily to extend the model is the
          direction suited for their business.
                 b)  Makes it easy for a print vendor to have a solution
for
          their product.  What I mean here is at a basic print
          model level, the vendor does not have to apply many, if
          any, resourses to supporting their product.  They can
          then focus on the extensibility for their products if
          required for their business model needs.
                 c)  Is consistent for end-users so they get a consistent
print
          experience across the different distributions they may be
          using.

For IPP, I am wondering if we have chosen the correct communication link.
know this has been the standard used in Linux for sometime, but it seems
be missing some pretty major parts that we would need.  As well, there are
other standards being developed such as UPnP and PSI that seem to be
working
in this same space and seem to be already addressing those needs.

I am not trying to create headaches for everyone.  I just want to make
sure
we are looking at all of our options.

Comments?

Shawn Pratt
Manager
Client Software for Device Enablement and Usage
Hewlett-Packard
11311 Chinden Blvd., MS 235, Boise, ID 83714
Phone: 208-396-4628