Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Aug 26 20:50:28 EDT 2002

Peter,

I don't have any problem with the PWG Semantic Model improving on the
terminology from IPP, such as the term "Processing Attributes" instead of
"Job Template Attributes".  I also think that the Processing Attributes are
a combination of the IPP Job Template attributes and the Job Creation
operation attributes, and the concept of operation attributes has
disappeared, right?

However, where the IPP terminology is OK, I suggest we stick with it.

For example, the term "Job Attributes" (section 2.2.1, Figure 5 and Section
4.2 Table 4) is equivalent to the IPP Job Description Attributes.  I suggest
that we stick with the term "Job Description Attributes" in the PWG Semantic
Model, i.e., attributes that the Printer produces the values for.  Another
reason is that the term Job Attributes should mean all of the attributes of
the Job object, not a subset.  The Processing Attributes are really Job
Attributes too, since the client supplies them, but the Printer copies them
to the Job object.

So I suggest that a Job object contains Job Attributes which consist of
Processing Attributes supplied by the client and Job Description attribute
supplied by the Printer.

Same for the term "Document Attributes" (section 2.3.1, Figure 7, section
4.3, Table 5).  The term should be "Document Description Attributes".  So a
Document object contains Document Attributes which consist of Processing
Attributes supplied by the client and Document Description attribute
supplied by the Printer.

Tom