AW: PMP> add device in host resource/mib

Jörg Geistmann jge at ratio.de
Thu Aug 21 03:56:45 EDT 2003

> Hi Jörg,
good morning ron!

> I guess that the SNMP agent in Windows was purchased and the
> HR MIB supports the computer and possibly other devices in the
> computer.  Is this correct?
yes, the HR MIB is supportet from the Windows SNMP Service about the
windows agent hostmib.dll. This agent/dll create the mib tree, for example:
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.1 = 1
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.2 = 2
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.3 = 3
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.4 = 4
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.5 = 5
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.6 = 6
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.7 = 7
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.8 = 8
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.9 = 9
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.10 = 10
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceType.1 = OID:
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTypes.hrDevicePrinter

> Have you also included the Printer MIB in the system by adding
> another DLL
no there is no other printer MIB in the system (i think that can exist
only one!) we want to develop our own printer mib dll.

> and using the existing SNMP agent?
yes we want to use the existing SNMP HOSTMIB agent dll.

> Have you assigned a unique hrDeviceIndex to the printer (i.e.
> plotter) in your Printer MIB?
this ist exactly the problem! we need a unique hrDeviceIndex in the
Printer MIB. And this unique Index comming from the Host Mib, isn´t it?

i think we must install our "printer" IN A WAY(?) that the SNMP HOSTMIB
agent dll identify this as a printer. and create for us the unique
hrDeviceIndex. in our example case:
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceIndex.11 = 11
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTable.hrDeviceEntry.hrDeviceType.11 = OID:
host.hrDevice.hrDeviceTypes.hrDevicePrinter
:-)

how can we do that the SNMP HOSTMIB agent dll work for us? :-)

i am very interested in your answer!

all the best

jörg geistmann