[IPP] (no subject)

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Wed Aug 30 17:09:50 UTC 2023

Anton Thomasson wrote:
> Hi
>
> (Seems i had fallen off the list somehow, so re-sending after
> re-registering, sorry if ends up going out twice).
>
> I was reminded that there is an Orientation setting in the PWG raster page
> header, but unfortunately the spec doesn't say much about how it is to be
> used.
> One interpretation could be that it requests the printer to transform the
> page as requested, but that would go against Design Requirement 2. So
> presumably, like the transform fields, it is more of a description of what
> the client has done to the page bitmap.
>
> Is that the correct interpretation?

Correct, like the PDF Rotation value, it is a hint to the Printer (or viewer application) what rotation has been applied.

> Is this the Orientation referred to in 6.4 c, or is that backside
> transformation, or both?

It is the viewing orientation (what the user would specify in the print dialog) - the backside transform is separate an only applies to the even numbered pages (that show up on the back side of the media).

> Landscape output doesn't seem very popular... but achieving full compliance
> would be pretty neat.

It is fairly common when printing spreadsheets and presentations, although the client software might auto-rotate the output before it even gets to the printing system...