[IPP] RFC: IPP Everywhere v2.0 self-certification tools and Flutter

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Mon Nov 7 15:49:33 UTC 2022

All,

I've continued researching the best options for the v2.0 IPP Everywhere self-certification tools and have come back to a cross-platform development platform from Google called "Flutter":

    https://flutter.dev

Flutter uses the Dart language that gets compiled to native code for desktop (Windows, macOS, Linux) and mobile (Android, iOS, iPadOS) platforms, it explicitly supported by Snapcraft (for distribution on Linux), and uses a "New MIT" license.

We can do both GUI and command-line with Flutter/Dart, and there is a fairly strong developer community that has grown beyond Google since its first release back in 2017.  I played around with it a bit over the weekend and I think it will be a good fit - hope to have a quick prototype UI to show at the F2F for comments/feedback.

Thoughts?

Michael Sweet