[IPP] IPP OAuth 2.0 question / potential gap: How should the Client manage multiple access tokens or realm identities?

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Fri Oct 14 19:41:49 UTC 2022

Hi Mike,

(Adding Pamela in to get her thoughts as well. Jimmy I saw your response but she wasn't CC'ed?)

> On Oct 14, 2022, at 12:23 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet at msweet.org> wrote:
>
> CAUTION: External Email
> Smith,
>
> If I am reading this right it looks like they are saying we should treat different hostnames as different OAuth "realms", which seems to be an obvious answer. I would go slightly farther and say the combination of "oauth-authorization-server-uri" and "oauth-scope" should be used when caching authorization tokens for a given realm, and "oauth-authorization-server-uri", "oauth-scope", and "printer-uri" (or "server-uri") for access tokens (since token exchange yields device/service-specific tokens).

I agree these seem like some of the elements / attributes one of these profiles might contain.

If there is consensus on this in principle (we can work out the details if there are other elements / attributes that should be present instead or in addition to the ones above), I think there are two other questions that we need to address in our update to 5199.10 and friends:

a) Is there a need for UI to allow the user to select one of these profiles? Or is there even a possibility of ambiguity?

b) the general assumption is that these profiles are local to the client. I have to assume these tokens aren't transferrable between clients? If they are transferrable, and could be pulled in from a cloud account / interface, does OAuth 2.0 or OIDC define an endpoint that can be used to provide these? If not then that is veering into proprietary uniqueness and is outside the scope of our work, because I don't think the PWG wants to get into the business of defining additional OAuth 2.0 endpoints.