[IPP] HP Inc. has reviewed IPP Production Printing Extensions v2.0 and has comments

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & IPP Standards) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Wed Oct 12 22:36:59 UTC 2022

Greetings,

HP Inc. has the following comments on the https://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippppx20-20220708.pdf draft in WGLC:

- Page 4: Update the ToC because 5.1 Job Status Attributes is missing...
- Page 8, line 209: "transformations in order to..." >>> "transformations to..." - "in order" is unnecessary
- Page 8, line 212: "attributes used for printing..." >>> "attributes to support printing..."
- Page 8, line 236: "Finished Document:" - italicize
- Page 9, line 243: "The Job also..." >>> "A Job also..." - seems more correct
- Page 9, lines 244, 246, 247: Capitalize the first "a" i.e., "Logical Device: A print server..."
- Page 10: Logical Device, Output Device and Physical Device were already defined in section 2.2 - where is best?
- Page 10, lines 303-304: "would represent each Set." >>> "constitute a Set." - making the language consistent with previous sentence
- Page 11: Blank, make it go away.
- Page 13, line 317: "v2.1" >>> "v3.0"
- Page 13, section 3.2: I know this is sort of backwards, but should this document include use cases for scheduled printing and printing on roll-fed media, for completeness?
- Page 14, section 3.5: Restart numbering
- Page 14, line 366: "operator, and..."  >>> "messages to operator, job scheduling, and ..."
- Page 15, lines 381-382: Add a new item to the list: "Job scheduling information;"
- Page 20, section 5.2: Consider having a table listing the Job Template attributes and their Printer Conformance requirements, since there are 20 Job Template attributes
- Page 21, Lines 495-496: Remove the "Note: " and move this to be the second sentence of the first paragraph of the section (page 20 line 491) so that the redirection is provided early. Insert a line feed to make the current second sentence of the first paragraph of the section become the first sentence in a new paragraph describing the attribute. IMHO the key thing here is to focus on redirection to "overrides" and let the user get the info about the attribute if they choose to not follow the redirection.
- Page 21, Table 4: Conformance >>> Printer Conformance
- Page 22, lines 518-535 (and all later lists): Bullets missing from bulleted list. Also might consider making the keyword values bold face type
- Page 27, lines 684 and 687: "If specified, the "media-col" member attribute (section 5.2.6.3) MUST NOT be specified." - I thought we needed to phrase these types of statements in terms of the Printer's behavior when encountering these conditions because we aren't able to make Client conformance statements. So should this instead say something like "A Printer MUST reject a Job Creation request supplying both the "media" and "media-col" member attributes and return the 'client-error-conflicting-attributes' status code." like what I was putting in Finishings v3.0
- Page 29, lines 742 and 745: "If specified, the "media-col" member attribute (section 5.2.9.4) MUST NOT be specified." - I thought we needed to phrase these types of statements in terms of the Printer's behavior when encountering these conditions because we aren't able to make Client conformance statements. So should this instead say something like "A Printer MUST reject a Job Creation request supplying both the "media" and "media-col" member attributes and return the 'client-error-conflicting-attributes' status code." like what I was putting in Finishings v3.0
- Page 29, line 748: "A zero-length value indicates no message." - Is this equivalent to the Client not providing the attribute? Or does this mean the "job-message-to-operator" attribute will show up in job accounting?
- Page 30, line 760: "...on the specified Job Sheet." - How is the "job-sheet" specified? Or should "specified" be removed?
- Page 30, Lines 767-768: Remove the "Note: " and move this to be the second sentence of the first paragraph of the section (page 20 line 491) so that the redirection is provided early. Insert a line feed to make the current second sentence of the first paragraph of the section become the first sentence in a new paragraph describing the attribute. IMHO the key thing here is to focus on redirection to "overrides" and let the user get the info about the attribute if they choose to not follow the redirection.

- Page 38, section 5.3: Consider having a table listing the Printer Description attributes and their Printer Conformance requirements, since there are 42 Printer Description attributes
- Page 44, line 1181: "section 0"...
- Page 45, line 1188: "section 0"...

Thanks for your efforts!

Smith