[IPP] Feedback on IPP Driverless Printing Extensions v2.0

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Mon Sep 12 22:08:10 UTC 2022

All,

Steven Young (Canon), Smith Kennedy (HP), and I have had a discussion concerning the "client-info" operation attribute.  Specifically, the current draft of NODRIVER requires support for this attribute but Canon has concerns about memory requirements - a large "client-info" attribute could be problematic to support on Printers with a limited amount of RAM.

Since the primary intent of the "client-info" attribute is to replace "document-format-details" and support Job accounting, we concluded that making this attribute RECOMMENDED (and the relates Job Status and Printer Description attributes CONDITIONALLY REQUIRED) is probably the best approach - it encourages adoption without imposing on constrained devices.

It is also probably worth adding a small section to the Security Considerations to address the potential for a Denial of Service attack by sending a large "client-info" attribute to the Printer.  Additionally, we could add a "max-client-info-supported (integer(1:MAX))" Printer Description attribute that would tell the Client the maximum number of "client-info" collections that will be copied to the "client-info" Job Status attribute.

Michael Sweet