[IPP] Changing defaults of a driverless printer (physical device) via CLI

Zdenek Dohnal zdohnal at redhat.com
Mon Aug 22 05:08:12 UTC 2022

Hi all,

Fedora user brought up an interesting question for me - whether user has
some CLI tool for changing default options on the printer itself (which
supports one or more of driverless standards - AirPrint, IPP Everywhere
etc.), without going to printer's web interface.

IMHO it might be possible - printer supports IPP 2.0+, CUPS supports IPP
as well and CUPS CLI tools, which work with CUPS, have an option for
setting a CUPS server which they want to send the request to. Once the
local user has the correct permissions (since IPP backend is run under
root, my guess is root has at least some permissions...) it could be
possible.

Is my understanding incorrect? Is there a different CLI tool which can
do the trick? (maybe ipptool?) To be honest I'm interested how is IPP
usually implemented internally in the printer - is there some CUPS
version? Or HTTPD (Apache) with proprietary IPP support on the top of
that? Or  whole HTTP+IPP implementation is written as a new there?

Thank you in advance!

Zdenek

--
Zdenek Dohnal