[IPP] Updated IPP Everywhere v1.1 Printer Self-Certification Tools Update 4 posted

Michael Sweet msweet at msweet.org
Wed Jul 6 19:13:20 UTC 2022

Anton,

> On Jul 5, 2022, at 3:26 PM, Anton Thomasson <antonthomasson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi
>
> Sorry if it is not my place...
> But will the capability of handling Print-Job remain part of certification at least in one or two transactions?

Yes, as long as we require Print-Job.

> You mention Print-Job being deprecated in #90; i can't find anything about that on iana.
> Did it happen recently, as in after the deprecation of Print-URI?

We are not deprecating the Print-Job operation yet, but the current draft of IPP Everywhere 2.0 no longer requires it.  Similarly, the FaxOut service (PWG 5100.15) does not include a Print-Job operation, and there is no corresponding one-step scan operation in the Scan service (PWG 5100.17).

> Is it a misunderstanding, or what is the reason?

Print-Job doesn't work well with streaming printers (i.e. PWG Raster, PCLm, Apple Raster), since there is no reliable way to monitor or manage the jobs while they are being sent to the printer.

Michael Sweet