[IPP] EPX: "feed-orientation" attribute orphaned

ISTO-PWG Internet Printing Protocol workgroup discussion forum ipp at pwg.org
Mon Mar 14 15:44:16 UTC 2022

Hi Mike,

I will add all of those to the obsolete sections in the next draft of IPP Enterprise Printing Extensions v2.0.

Cheers,
Smith
---
Smith Kennedy
smith.kennedy at hp.com

On Mar 14, 2022, at 9:33 AM, ISTO-PWG Internet Printing Protocol workgroup discussion forum via ipp <ipp at pwg.org> wrote:

All,

I'm going through the IPP registry and CUPS sources (to make sure that everything is up-to-date and in sync) and noticed that the "feed-orientation" attribute has gone missing from the current EPX draft.  From the original PWG 5100.11:

7.1 feed-orientation (type3 keyword)

The OPTIONAL "feed-orientation" Job Template attribute specifies the media edge which is fed into the print engine from the paper tray. Long-edge-first is the preferred method of feeding media to attain the fastest printing speed. Certain media will have adverse effects when fed from a certain direction; for instance, some labels will peel off in the paper path when fed long-edge-first, but not when fed short-edge-first. The feed orientation also may allow the job to be finished in more acceptable ways; for instance, a stationary finishing stapler may provide a preferred stapling location when the media is fed short-edge-first.

When this attribute is specified, the printer selects media that has already been loaded in the requested orientation. If the media is not currently loaded in the requested orientation, the job may enter the 'processing-stopped' state with a "job-state-reason" of 'resources-are-not-ready'.

Standard keyword values are:

Keyword

'long-edge-first'

'short-edge-first'

Now, if I go back through the archives then it looks like we had decided to make this attribute obsolete rather than bring it into the new-and-improved 5100.11 - mainly because feed orientation is determined by the input tray. But right now "feed-orientation" and the corresponding -default and -supported attributes are not mentioned in the obsolete section nor can they be found as current attributes...