[IPP] RFC: Definitions of Workgroup, Enterprise, and Production Printers

William Wagner wamwagner at outlook.com
Sat Jan 15 20:24:01 UTC 2022

Thank you Mike. I have a few comments/questions.

  1.  I suggest adding ‘hardcopy” to “output” in all cases, just so it is clear what is being output.
  2.  It has, I believe, been  the position that “Printer” refers to a service and not necessarily an output device, and may not even include a output device (although this may not be consistent with  common usage.) Here, the definitions clearly define these printers as output devices (i.e.., excluding ‘logical’ printers?) And  is this likely to cause confusion?
  3.  I tend to think of a workgroup printer as being in a work environment and serving a group of people. What would one call my printer at home? Or the printers attached to specific workstations (e.g., receptionists) or printers in medical exam rooms (used for prescriptions, or information on problems for parents.
  4.  For  Workgroup printer and Production , the type of hardcopy output is listed. For  Enterprise Printer, a group  of ancillary services are listed. It might be desirable to list the types of primary hardcopy outputs and then indicate the other support services.
  5.  I think  we should distinguish between a Production Printer and what I would  call a printing press. (I go back to printing reports on an offset press using typed mats for plates) But perhaps  the definition is intended to include high volume newspaper and magazine presses? I though we were more concerned with “light’ production printing.
Thanks,
Bill Wagner