[IPP] RFC 8010 section 3.3 question

Kennedy, Smith (Wireless & Standards Architec) smith.kennedy at hp.com
Fri Apr 13 19:31:01 UTC 2018

Greetings,

I've recently been asked by someone working on a new IPP client implementation about the meaning of RFC 8010 section 3.3 (https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8010#section-3.3 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8010#section-3.3>), which says:

   Table 1 maps the Model group name to value of the "begin-attribute-
   group-tag" field:

   +----------------+--------------------------------------------------+
   | Model Document | "begin-attribute-group-tag" field values         |
   | Group          |                                                  |
   +----------------+--------------------------------------------------+
   | Operation      | "operations-attributes-tag"                      |
   | Attributes     |                                                  |
   +----------------+--------------------------------------------------+
   | Job Template   | "job-attributes-tag"                             |
   | Attributes     |                                                  |
   +----------------+--------------------------------------------------+
   | Job Object     | "job-attributes-tag"                             |
   | Attributes     |                                                  |
   +----------------+--------------------------------------------------+
   | Unsupported    | "unsupported-attributes-tag"                     |
   | Attributes     |                                                  |
   +----------------+--------------------------------------------------+
   | Requested      | (Get-Job-Attributes) "job-attributes-tag"        |
   | Attributes     |                                                  |
   +----------------+--------------------------------------------------+
   | Requested      | (Get-Printer-Attributes)"printer-attributes-tag" |
   | Attributes     |                                                  |
   +----------------+--------------------------------------------------+
   | Document       | in a special position at the end of the message  |
   | Content        | as described in Section 3.1.1 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8010#section-3.1.1>.                   |
   +----------------+--------------------------------------------------+

                           Table 1: Group Values

   For each operation request and response, the Model prescribes the
   required and optional attribute groups, along with their order.
   Within each attribute group, the Model prescribes the required and
   optional attributes, along with their order.

After reading RFC 8011 more closely, "Requested Attributes (Get-Job-Attributes)" seems to mean that the Get-Job-Attributes response will list the set of requested attributes in the group with the "job-attributes-tag", and "Requested Attributes (Get-Printer-Attributes)" means the Get-Printer-Attributes response will list the set of requested attributes in the group with the "printer-attributes-tag". But that required a bit of back-and-forth between 8010 and 8011. If there is a mechanism to report errata to an RFC, I'd like to request that these rows be modified to read more like so:

   +----------------+--------------------------------------------------+
   | Requested      | "job-attributes-tag"                             |
   | Attributes     | (Get-Job-Attributes operation response)          |
   +----------------+--------------------------------------------------+
   | Requested      | "printer-attributes-tag"                         |
   | Attributes     | (Get-Printer-Attributes operation response)      |

Thoughts? Maybe these kinds of editorial errata can be rolled in as part of their move to full Internet Standard?

Smith

/**
    Smith Kennedy
    Wireless & Standards Architect - IPG-PPS
    Standards - IEEE ISTO PWG / Bluetooth SIG / Wi-Fi Alliance / NFC Forum / USB-IF
    Chair, IEEE ISTO Printer Working Group
    HP Inc.
*/