IPP> Encoding

Brian Grimshaw brian at apple.com
Fri Jun 20 17:06:27 EDT 1997

Bob,

I think I was unclear in my question.  The proposed protocol allows for
multiple values to be associated with an attribute (as in your finishings
example) which is, indeed, a "set".  I am asking for the ability to
represent a grouping of attributes, as in a much earlier example of two
addresses, like "job owner address" and "delivery address".  Another
example may be grouping of communications parameters.

If a server knows these attributes, that's OK -- it then knows to parse
the opaque value as an ipp-attribute set.  If it doesn't know the
attribute, then it's unable to parse the "contained" attributes --
street, city, zip, etc.

I'm looking for this capability without the explicit encoding of types
and without requiring the parser to know all the attributes.  I think
this is much simpler than a complete solution to type encoding and, while
types COULD be leveraged to solve this problem, they are primarily an
orthogonal concept.

Brian