JK Martin jkm at underscore.com
Wed May 21 18:51:30 EDT 1997

> This sounds good, but you still have not explained why we want it and
> what potential use we would have of it?  I assume the intent is to keep
> several related operations together, but is that not also important for
> the server to know about?

It's not important (nor even useful) for the server to know about such
client-specified transaction IDs.

Client-specified transaction IDs can be found in lots of different
protocols, including SNMP and CPAP.  As Randy pointed out, it helps
the client match responses to previous requests.  This allows a
client to post multiple requests at one time--without waiting for
the responses in a synchronous manner--then later match the responses
once they arrive from the server.

Good idea, Randy, although such transaction IDs probably won't be of
much use in the HTTP-mapped implementation scenario.

	...jay

--  JK Martin               |  Email:   jkm at underscore.com          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --